There are two main types of nuclear tests performed in cardiology:
1) Myocardial perfusion studies- examines the blood flow to the heart muscle.
2) Dynamic studies- measures the contractile (pumping) function of the heart muscle.
Exercise Myocardial Perfusion Imaging
This test is performed with an isotope (thallium, sestamibi, or a combination of the two). The test is performed in conjunction with a treadmill exercise test.
Myocardial perfusion imaging is performed:
• When the results of a routine treadmill study are equivocal
• When there is known coronary artery occlusive disease and it is desirable to know the extent and severity of the disease (so-called risk stratification).
• In some patients to determine the functional significance of coronary blockage observed on an angiogram
Click here for more>>
of Norwich, LLC
79 Wawecus Street
Norwich, CT 06360